Wordle style games, such as my implementation, Puzzword for Android, have become incredibly popular in recent times. They involve guessing a five-letter word in six attempts or less, with the help of feedback on which letters are correct and their respective positions. It is a simple yet engaging word game concept that can improve your vocabulary, enhance your guessing skills, and provide a fun way to pass the time. Everyone has their favourite tips for Wordle, so here are ours.
Tips for Wordle style games:
- Start with common letters: When you start the game, you should focus on guessing the most common letters in the English language, such as E, A, R, T, and O. These letters appear in a high percentage of words, which increases your chances of guessing the right words. Good starter words include CRATE, SLANT, TRACE, LANCE, CARTE, LEAST, TRICE and ROAST.
- Look for patterns: As you make more attempts, you should look for patterns in the feedback that you receive. For example, if the game highlights the same letter twice in different positions, it means that the word contains that letter twice. You can use this information to narrow down your choices and make more accurate guesses.
- Avoid similar letters: One of the challenges of Puzzword is that some letters look similar, such as B and D or P and Q. To avoid confusion, you should focus on letters that are clearly distinguishable, such as C, G, and K. This can prevent you from wasting guesses on letters that are not correct.
- Use word patterns: Another useful technique is to use word patterns to eliminate possible words.
For example, if you know that the word starts with a certain letter, you can use a dictionary or online tool to generate a list of possible words that fit that pattern. You can then use the feedback from the game to eliminate words that do not match the remaining letters.
- Think outside the box: While it is important to focus on common letters and word patterns, you should also be open to less common words that may not follow these rules. Some words may be less familiar or have unusual spellings, so you should not limit your guesses to words that you know well.
- Keep a record: To improve your performance in Puzzword , you should keep a record of your guesses and the feedback that you receive. This can help you identify patterns and improve your guessing skills over time. You can also compare your performance with previous games and track your progress.
- Take a break: Finally, it is important to take a break if you feel frustrated or stuck. Puzzword is a game that requires patience and persistence, and it is easy to get discouraged if you do not make progress quickly. Taking a break can help you clear your mind and return to the game with a fresh perspective.
In conclusion, Puzzword and Wordle style games are fun and engaging games that can improve your vocabulary and guessing skills. By following these tips, you can increase your chances of guessing the word correctly and enjoy the game even more.
Remember to focus on common letters, look for patterns, avoid similar letters, use word patterns, think outside the box, keep a record, and take a break if needed. With practice and patience, you can become a Puzzword / Wordle master in no time!