Sudoku is available as part of Higgster’s Games Compendium, with no adverts, downloadable for all Android tablets and Phones. Download Sudoku Now!
Sudoku is a popular number puzzle game that involves filling a 9×9 grid with digits so that each column, each row, and each of the nine 3×3 subgrids contain all of the digits from 1 to 9 without repetition. The game starts with some numbers pre-filled in the grid as clues, and your task is to logically deduce and place the remaining numbers to complete the grid.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to play Sudoku:
1. Understand the Rules: Make sure you’re familiar with the basic rules of Sudoku: each row, column, and 3×3 subgrid must contain all numbers from 1 to 9, without any repetition.
2. Start with Easy Puzzles: If you’re new to Sudoku, begin with easier puzzle settings, available by clicking the cog icon in the top right of the screen. These puzzles are designed to be simpler and help you get a grasp of the solving techniques.
3. Focus on Rows and Columns: Start by examining each row and column to identify which numbers are missing. Look for instances where a number appears only once in a row or column, and use the process of elimination to place numbers.
4. Analyze 3×3 Subgrids: Next, analyze the 3×3 subgrids. Similar to rows and columns, look for numbers that are missing. Remember that each digit from 1 to 9 should appear exactly once in each subgrid.
5. Use Logic and Deduction: Sudoku is a logic-based game. You don’t need to guess or use trial-and-error. Each placement you make should be based on logical deduction from the existing numbers on the board.
6. Employ Elimination: If you’re unsure about a particular number placement, use the process of elimination. Look for places in rows, columns, and subgrids where a certain number can only fit in one spot due to the numbers already present.
7. Look for Pairs and Triples: Keep an eye out for situations where only two or three cells in a row, column, or subgrid can hold a specific set of numbers. This can help you narrow down possibilities and make placements.
8. Practice Patience: Sudoku can get challenging, but it’s important to remain patient. Sometimes solving a puzzle requires multiple rounds of analysis before you can confidently place numbers.
9. Don’t Repeat Numbers: Remember that you can’t repeat numbers within a row, column, or subgrid. Always double-check your placements to ensure they follow this rule.
10. Gradually Increase Difficulty: As you gain confidence, move on to puzzles with fewer pre-filled numbers and higher difficulty levels. These puzzles will require more advanced solving techniques.
11. Use Pencil Marks: Higgster’s Puzzle Compendium, allows you to place “pencil marks” or potential candidates in empty cells by toggling the “pencil” icon in the bottom of the screen, then typing. This can help you keep track of possible numbers for each cell.
12. Practice Regularly: Like any skill, practice is key. Regularly engaging with Sudoku puzzles will improve your ability to spot patterns, make deductions, and solve puzzles more efficiently.
Remember, Sudoku is a game of logic and deduction, not guesswork. With practice and perseverance, you’ll become more skilled at solving even the most challenging Sudoku puzzles.
Sudoku is available as part of Higgster’s Games Compendium, with no adverts, downloadable for all Apple and Android tablets/phones.